Saturday, December 3, 2011

Short #9: Affect

I was walking through a field, covered in mist, the sunrise obscured by the bleak. My feet brushed over the dew covered blades of grass, staining my shoes in blinking crystals. Reaching down to touch the smooth, cool surface of a pebble, I stopped when something caught the corner of my eye.

At first, I felt a shiver of fear, for a black beast seemed to have taken refuge behind me. Turning slowly, I came face-to-face in his hand, the silver head of a wolf in his black gloved hand. Silver and black curled over his pale face, a top-hat tilted to obscure his eyes, and I felt myself choke. Truly, in this one moment, I failed to find words to describe this feeling that circled my throat and made me understand total fear.

“Who are you?” I managed to say, body poised to run, paralyzed in fear. He didn’t speak, simply raised a hand to push his finger against his lips.

“Shhh,” was the hiss that came from him, a wind roaring over the plan as a pair of silver eyes came into view. Sitting up with a jerk I found myself staring at a dark grey wall.

I gripped my arms, mouth opened in shock, eyes wide and body wracked with shaking. How could one being instill so much fear in a single stair? Taking to my feet I swore I could feel my breath waver before my face…

No comments:

Post a Comment